Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My way or the Hubway

My name is Jackie and I had a Hubway membership.

There. I said it. And the best part? It was awesome.

I think, like many, that I viewed the Hubway as useful, but generally silly-looking, clunky bikes that only tourists used. However, I assure you... that is not the case. My very first adventure on a Hubway was a few weeks ago, after the Boston Cyclists Union meeting, when I wanted to go with Jessica to meet other friends. The fastest and cheapest way for both of us to meet them was for me to get a Hubway bike, since she already had hers. The result? I laughed the whole time... to the point of a nearby pedestrian declaring, "That woman on the Hubway is drunk!" (I assure you, I was not, despite the many delicious beers available at the party).

You see, my bike is quite old.

I have named her Sally the Surviving Sojourner... or just Sally. Sally and I have been together for over 12 years, ever since I scraped together my allowance, convinced my parents to drive me to Wal-Mart (the only bike store I knew of at the time) and decided she was The One. I was right - Sally is wonderful. She is still trucking, getting me to and from the T station and an occasional gym sesh or yoga class these days. Previously, we rode all around Boston and Cambridge, dodging potholes and pedestrians and cars like champions.

But now, Sally is getting older. She loses air in her tires quickly and makes funny noises when we climb hills together. Then again, I'd probably make funny noises if I had to carry me on my back uphill. Regardless, Sally is not easy to ride... there is space in there for a "Ride, Sally, Ride" joke but I can't quite figure it out. 

Anyway, back to the Hubway: the impetus for getting a 3-day membership last week came when I had to get to class in 45 minutes. It is 4.5 miles from work to class, so if I had my running gear, that would be one option... save that I had to arrive looking somewhat intact and with an assignment. Running was not an option. 

The bus or T was another possibility, albeit a really slow and sedentary option. After some quality time that day with my desk chair, I was really hoping for some movement or standing, at the very least

With the time limitation, walking was definitely out, unless I wanted to show up very late. Not a good move.

Curious, I approached the Hubway computer thingy, you know, the thing that looks like a less exciting vending machine. I read the simple instructions: three day membership, $12, unlimited free rides under 30 minutes. $2 for rides 30-60 minutes. Done - very easy to understand, and exciting in a different way than the smacking sound that a candy bar makes when it falls from its home to the bottom of a vending machine.

I soared to class. And the next day I soared to dinner with a friend. And the day after that I soared to the orange line. Sure, there were the occasional "oops" turns the wrong way down one way streets and moments before I realized that the seat could adjust and just had to fall over to stop, but it was phenomenal. I was not constrained by the bus or T schedule, I didn't have to be pressed up against strangers who were just as reluctant to be pressed up against me. AND I passed at least a few buses and countless pedestrians. I pedaled and braked with ease, since these bikes are much more modern and ergonomically friendly than Sally's. The seat adjustment range is enormous to take into account people much smaller and taller than I. Another bonus.

Unlike my preconceived notions of Herbert (what I've named all of the Hubway bikes), he is actually very useful, sleek, and racy. He maneuvers steadily among the potholes, just like Sally once did, and he is really a wonderful way to see this city. And he's (almost) always there when you need him.

No comments:

Post a Comment