Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Connect the dots, BU

There seems to be a massive disconnect within the BU community, both on and off campus. Most prominently between what alumni, students, and faculty want to happen and what is actually happening. For those of you not entirely keeping track of this situation on your own, Jezebel has eloquently summarized the current sexual assault/Peeping Tom/insert more evidence of rape culture at BU here.

I could go on and on about how it's sort of embarrassing to be a BU alum/School of Public Health student right now... but I don't think that's entirely accurate. My professors, TAs and colleagues (the word they encourage us to use in graduate school) all share my opinions and criticisms of BU. To be frank, they are handling all of the situations of this year really really badly. I would be embarrassed if I were the only one who thought that President Brown and company were not performing well, but knowing that lots of others in this community share my view makes me think that the education and values at BU are not the problem, and at least for now, the administration is.

We need a less disconnected administration who worries more about finding out the truth and less about how it makes the University looks to outsiders.



No comments:

Post a Comment