Sunday, December 9, 2012

j.a.m.'s jam: spread the love

I'm proud to announce the official establishment of j.a.m.'s jam, my newest culinary adventure! 

You see, earlier this year, Kat and I took a jamming and canning class at the Boston Center for Adult Education, and it was phenomenal. They had champagne, wine, cheese/jam/crackers waiting for us upon arrival, and we made three delicious jams and jellies: blackberry, blueberry and tomato. I know - tomato seems weird but it is unreal - think BLT, egg sandwhich or bagel with cream cheese and tomato jam. 

Since then, I have made more tomato jam, spiced cranberry jam and branched out a wee bit into the world of pickling. It's all so fun, tasty, and really incredibly useful. This is what people did to preserve food for the winter months when they couldn't waltz into the nearest Super Stop and Shop to get vegetables and fruits from around the world anytime they pleased. If and when the world returns to that way of life, I am ready. 

After the class, Dad and I were chatting about what I could call my potential jamming company, and decided that using my initials (J.A.M.) only seemed appropriate... which is especially funny since I loathed having acronym initials as a child and adolescent. Dad suggested "J.A.M.'s Jammin' Jam", but we both liked "j.a.m.'s jam"... so there you have it. 

As for our slogan "spread the love", it revealed itself much like the name. Jam is a very comfortable food, often eaten in the presence of loved ones, or given as a token of love... or eliciting feelings of love from its tastiness. This paragraph feels awkward, but I'll work on justifying the slogan while waiting for cans of jam to finish sealing themselves in the boiling water bath. 

I am finally announcing j.a.m.'s jam because of positive responses from recent focus group testing (read: debuting a few jams at holiday and family parties) and the very enthusiastic and shameless vocal support of one Miss Amanda, who also happens to be a very successful PR genius.

This is definitely a work in progress (recipe testing - any volunteers?) and lending itself to quite the potential post-MPH graduation project, but I'm very excited to see where it goes. 

Please direct any inquiries or orders to our new email address: 
spreadthelovewithjam@gmail.com 

j.a.m.'s jam: spread the love

1 comment: