Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Preach it, Girl

Title credit to blogmate Amanda.

I am reading Sex at Dawn by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jetha right now and it is ...incredible. I am only on page 85, but so far I love it. I frequently feel rather alone in my questioning of sexual stereotypes but I have found good company with these authors. 

What have I learned so far?

Humans are equally and very closely related to both chimps and bonobos. Bonobos are social creatures who more closely resemble humans in terms of their relationships and sexual habits. Turns out they are lesser studied than chimps, mostly because they primarily reside in the DRC - not somewhere most people want to go for an academic excursion. But, imagine if bonobos had been found first! All of the assumptions we hold based on chimps would be totally ludicrous! I'll keep you posted with more about this book, because it is fantastic.

Speaking of sexual stereotypes based on our relatedness to chimps, people are slowly understanding that women, like men, are active and sexual beings with desires of all kinds. *Gasp!* Similarly, more women are publicly proclaiming said desires, and Amanda also gets credit for finding this article about owning them. Sometimes they are career related and sometimes they are sexually related and sometimes they are fashion related, but whatever they are, they are valid and real and yours and that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment