Monday, August 6, 2012

Bike Rules

Some of my favorite quotes from this article about traffic rules as applied to bicycles...

...regarding the laws as they stand now vs. how they should be:
  • In this view, bikes must be regulated like cars, and vilified when riders flout those regulations, as if we were cunningly getting away with something. But bikes are not cars. Cars drive three or four times as fast and weigh 200 times as much. Drive dangerously, you’re apt to injure others; ride dangerously, I’m apt to injure myself. I have skin in the game. And blood. And bones.
  • We are a third thing, a distinct mode of transportation, requiring different practices and different rules. 
...regarding the enforcement of said laws:
  • Laws work best when they are voluntarily heeded by people who regard them as reasonable. 
...and finally a good question about laws and rules in general:
  • If my rule-breaking is ethical and safe, why does it annoy anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment