Friday, June 22, 2012

Kenya: Wildlife Lessons

1. The bugs are bigger. 

There were two instances that hammered home this lesson. Last night, a grasshopper hopped its way onto the couch outside the chumba and it was actually the length of my index finger. In a moment of squeamishness, I moved to the other end of the couch and did not bother it. In one jump, it then landed on my leg before quickly launching itself to the next destination.

After that encounter, a smaller termite landed on me. This was more frightening, despite the smaller size, because these bugs are more aggressive and just plain wreckless. It was about the size of my thumb and looked like a worm with wings. Having seen them divebomb some unsuspecting classmates a few nights ago, I quickly swatted it off of me and stomped on it, which was aggressive on my part. As it crunched under me, I felt as though I had stomped on a baby bird. Good thing the askaris did not see this - they eat the termites, which are considered a post-wet season delicacy.

2. Monkeys are smart ...and domesticate-able.

The baboons are learning more every day, as they hang out and pace around our group meetings. I don't know if they're learning anything, really, but they look really pensive. I'm convinced that pretty soon, they are going to have their MPH's too! Thankfully, they have not stolen any computers. Yet.

The vervet monkeys, which sometimes fall prey to baboons, were fed treats by students from Spring Semester and now they invade our kitchen and occasionally steal snacks. They may look cute, but we have aptly named the invaders all "Dennis" (the Menace). Dennis likes sugar and peanut butter, which makes me think that we would get along, if only he'd get his own and stop stealing ours.

3. Simba means lion.

Simba very quickly made it into my Swahili vocabulary, under the mental category dedicated to "Survival" - thought that would make you happy, Mom and Dad.

4. At any moment, you can come across a whole family of ...anything.

And you and your camera had better be ready! My experiences outside of our safari have thankfully involved only giraffe and zebra, and it was entirely worth it both times to have carried around my giant camera all day for some up close and unexpected shots.

I think that's all so far. While there are many things about home that I'll welcome whole-heartedly,  I'm certainly going to miss waking up to baboon fights in the middle of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment