Monday, May 28, 2012

Kenya: Arrival Edition

Hujambo from Kenya!

After two red eyes, lots of interrupted naps, some pretty decent airplane food, and a long ride in a Land Rover older than me, we have arrived at Kilimanjaro Bush Camp, which is home for the next five weeks. I have not yet made my bed or showered (ew!) so this will be short. Lots has happened since leaving Boston with tears stinging my eyes and backpacks weighing me down (or as one of my colleagues put it "shattering my vertebrate") so I'm going to do a "Rose, Bud, Thorn" type of reflection.

Rose (the best parts): Intact luggage not missing any of my belongings, visiting Hyde Park during our ten hour layover, being a much better airplane sleeper than I remember (sans the Ambien prescribed by the travel doctor no less!) and taking a walk around the camp perimeter to check it out and take photos. It pretty much looks like a real life version of The Lion King.

Bud (the parts I'm most excited about): Being able to do homework outside in this gorgeous environment, getting to know people better, the food, learning Kiswahili, living in our "Tumbili banda" and learning from the professors who we met only briefly but who seem very nice and mutually excited.

Thorn (the worst parts): Goodbyes, and of course feeling tired and dirty. Asante to all of you who gave big hugs, advice on items to bring, well wishes, and rides to the airport. You are too lovely for words.

Kwaheri!

No comments:

Post a Comment