Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Stop this Train

This morning, "Stop this Train (Acoustic)" by John Mayer popped itself on my David Gray Pandora station. I chuckled and thought it ironic that I was listening to such a song while riding a train. And joked with myself that I didn't want the train to stop because I wanted to get to work early, to start my day before the rest of the office arrived and this amazing place started by this amazing dude started to buzz at its usual amazing speed.

Instead of reading while listening to music as I usually do, I listened to the words and started to really identify with some of the words of the song. Then I started to wonder if we're all our own train, and have parallel tracks with the people we surround ourselves with, or if we're all passengers on one giant train and move ourselves about in the different cars to be with the different groups of people in our life. Pretty crazy thought, right? I couldn't decide which idea I liked more, and still can't, but I like different parts about either option.

Chugga chugga choo choo.

I also really like the line that says, "turn 68, you'll renegotiate. Don't stop this train. Don't for a minute change the place you're in." A nice reminder to stay present, which is healthy for pretty much anyone involved in any situation / on train car you're in / track your train is on at that moment.

I may be taking the train thing a bit too far. But it was a refreshing reminder while en route to my first work day of 2012 - think about what you're doing, in work/school/home/anywhere else your train takes you, be mindful of your pace, wherever it be, and considerate of your fellow passengers ...always.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment