Monday, July 18, 2011

Marvelous Monday Morning

After a rather epic weekend of fun, Monday mornings are not so bad. The glow of all the different fun parts hasn't worn off yet, and stopping at this little coffee cart on the back of a bike (so naturally I was totally sucked in) outside Charles/MGH pretty much made my day. Yes, already. That coffee was outstanding, especially to my not so picky and sophisticated coffee palate. After an epic (yes I'm using that word twice in one paragraph, mostly because I like it) bachelorette party on Saturday night and a late night impromptu ER trip with a certain blood peeing, air-sitar playing friend last night, it was not only delicious, but also vital to getting through today. You should 1) definitely try that coffee and 2) probably read all of this post as fast as possible because it was written on caffeine, so even if you're not caffeinated, that's how it would be best understood. Expect lots of errors and such. The best part of this morning is that now we're close enough to lunch that I can look forward to that!

So I finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett this weekend. I once read a book review in the New York Times for a different book where the author said the only time he stopped reading was to chase his wife around the house and talk to her about how awesome it was. Unfortunately, I am not paid to review books and had to put it down more frequently than that, BUT similar to him, I have been chasing pretty much everyone around talking about how awesome this book is. It's about this white girl, Skeeter, who writes a book about what it's like to be a black maid in Jackson, M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I, pretty much immediately pre-civil rights movement. Reading this book included many moments of blatantly cracking up on the Red Line with a bunch of grumpy commuters, who were probably some combination of jealous and judging me as crazy. Oh well. I contemplated including some of my favorite quotes, but I don't want to ruin any of the book for any one who might possibly read it. But wow, consider yourself chased around the house.

I have lots of recommendations this morning, apparently. Drink good coffee and read good books. The end.

2 comments:

  1. I loved, loved, loved this book. I miss the characters so much now that I have finished it. I can't wait until she writes another book. It is also coming out in August as a movie. We love having swedish fish as a snack with movies and I already have mine ready to go!! This is a book to read for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to comment that it's been made into a movie but someone beat me to it! This is on my to-read list. I've heard great things!

    ReplyDelete