Friday, March 30, 2012

Kenya 101

So I have more information about Kenya from our handy dandy trip packet that I am only partially through... but the best part so far is that everyone has to change into closed-toed shoes at night to protect ourselves from snake and scorpion bites... and to shake your shoes before putting them on to get out those pesky little scorpions.

Other than that, we are going to live in "bandas" which are little but sturdy-looking shelters, with three other same-sex individuals, have a track nearby to run at and a fence surrounding to keep ourselves protected from wildlife, who obviously sometimes get in but largely stay on the other side of the fence. I'm going to start learning Swahili, or at least enough to survive, and doing a zillion other things on our pre-departure checklists. The schedule sounds intense, but amazing.

I promise I'll stop talking about this and get back to other more interesting blog topics soon, but with so many offers to fold yourselves into suitcases for me to bring along (including one from my brother, who is apparently going to start doing yoga to be able to fit into said suitcase), I figured that at least highlights were necessary.

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Jambo! this sounds really awesome. good thing you have the fence, but it's cool if you're able to hear the animals calling at night :)

    ReplyDelete