Wednesday, August 24, 2011

First top ten list!

Top ten ways you know fall is on its way (in no particular order):

1. My first school book, Designing Health Messages (no, not "massages" - don't get too excited), arrived in the mail yesterday. Expect enthralling blog entries in the future on said topic. I know you're pumped.

2. I saw very early foliage in the Berkshires this weekend. None hath been spotted in Boston yet, but I'm planning to photo-document the Charles starting September 1, at least weekly, inspired by those who kept track of the massive pile of snow in Framingham that survived into June... and also because walking over the river is awesome.

3. Teachers are being sillier as their vacations wind down. 

  • Exhibit A: My father has been making more of his special jokes than usual, and laughing more than usual at his own sense of humor... eliciting eye rolls from us, and more laughter from him.
  • Exhibit B: A certain music teacher devilishly swapped my salad for the food trash (not as obvious as one might think since the two were in the exact same tupperware container) as a practical joke. I did not notice as I quickly packed my bag, but lucky for both of us, he remembered to switch them back.
4. Dave and Molly are getting hitched this weekend. In the early days of summer, it seemed so far away, and once it was here, fall would be so close... and now it's here. Time to celebrate :)

5. The air conditioner is no longer vital to attaining sleep.

6. I can walk to work in my work clothes without arriving here drenched in sweat... and have luckily dodged all of the birds thus far. 

7. As a former vegetarian and general fruit/vegetable junkie, I can't help but notice that apple prices have "fall"en* = it's apple season(ish). Mmm homemade apple crisp.

8. The sun sets much earlier. Boo for shorter days to come!

9. The "School" filter on my Gmail has come back to life after summer doldrums. Orientation is fast approaching, Jessica - sharpen those pencils! 

10. Back to school sales are on. Ain't nothing like a new notebook

*Note: Dad's sense of humor didn't fall far from the (apple) tree. Oh God, someone stop me!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm....Can't wait for apple crisp either - remember the 30 batches I made last year? I'll try and top that.

    I also might add to your list:
    the resurrection of the bean boots in my closet, the flannel shirts I have been longingly looking at are making a reappearance and brisk morning air all say "Fall" is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh... fall. It's always associated with the return to school in my head. Did you ever see the film You've Got Mail? One of my favorite lines is "Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address."

    I love the smell of fall in New England. I miss it. Also, I miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah - Of course! How could I forget Bean boots and flannel?! Anyone else have any additions?

    Bloo - that's a great line from a cute movie. And I miss you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Berkshires - where I grew up - had one tree that had one limb which would turn yellow in mid-August. It was two houses down and so plainly visible from the kitchen window when it was my turn to do the dishes. So depressing since it meant the end of summer. I also remember going apple picking with you Jackie and rushing home with all your friends to make fresh apple crisp. Yummmmm!!

    ReplyDelete