Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I have a spare tire on my car.

...which must be difficult, since I don't own one. 


No no, this is a quote from Kansas State Rep. Pete DeGraaf, who was encouraging women to be prepared for being raped in the same way that he is prepared for a flat tire. You can scoff; it is quite the appalling analogy. 


They were debating insurance coverage of abortion for women who become pregnant as a result of rape/incest; DeGraaf is opposed. I like to think I'm paying attention, but then when someone says something this shocking, this related to things I'm interested in and they sneak under my radar, it ...well it makes me feel negligent. So! Negligence no more.


Basically, I could go on and on about how infuriating such a statement is, as a woman and someone who believes in the government getting themselves out of the business of deciding what goes on in a body part many of them aren't even lucky enough to have, but the fundamental issue here is the underlying mentality. As long as there are people in office like Pete DeGraaf (and equally worse, people who vote for such representation), a woman's right to choose and access to accompanying necessary services (insurance coverage of abortion, properly trained physicians, etc) will always be in jeopardy. 


The idea that a woman "deserves" to be raped or "has it coming" is entirely backwards. I'm not sure when we started justifying one person violently attacking another, unprovoked, but I gotta say it just makes us look pretty dumb. We should probably stop. Blaming the attacked for just being too attractive or vulnerable or irresistible in other ways is easy. It would be far more difficult, profound and widespread to change the societal norms and expectations surrounding personal autonomy, gender roles, violence and equality.


Imagine not even debating whether abortion for pregnancy from rape/incest should be covered by insurance. I'm not sure it's happening anytime soon, so I'll keep carrying that tire, because I better be ready.


And now, stolen from another blogger interested in Ol' Pete:
DeGraaf's Web site lists his office number as 785-296-7693, his home phone as 316-777-0715 - that's at 1545 E. 119th St. Mulvane, KS - and his e-mail as pete.degraaf@house.ks.gov. You know, just in case you're one of the people who do disagree with him and think you might be able to persuade him. Democracy thrives on open discourse. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to Michelle for bringing this to my attention!

    ReplyDelete