Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Adventures in Grocery Shopping

I can finally say that I understand grocery shopping. Jane and Pat, my oh-so-fortunate previous roommates, will attest that I went through phases of buying too much food after discovering Haymarket, Peapod, and Trader Joe's. I still think all of those places or delivery services are truly awesome, in very different ways, but now I understand that I simply couldn't eat all that I was purchasing before it went bad. This lead to lots of smelly produce occupying our trash more frequently than I'd like to admit.

These days, I am kind to my pedestrian/biker self and frequent the grocery store for small, easily mobile (read: fits in my backpack) amounts of food. I tell myself it's very European and "green" of me and that it has nothing to do with my lack of a car. And yes, I'll keep telling myself that until I graduate from school.

Regardless, on Monday night, after a black bean burger experiment gone awry (and a chocolate chip cookie experiment gone quite wonderfully) I headed to Shaw's with Hannah and Rachel. We gathered some fruit, yogurt, and other staples and headed to the check out.

It's rare that I am jealous of other shoppers or the content of their carriages, but the middle-aged couple in front of me in the Express lane had two items: one PBR pounder and one Heineken pounder. How carefree! They had even less to carry than I, and they were chatting about where to go on their walk now that they had their beer.

After discussing this scene, arranging our groceries in comfortable carrying position and exiting the store, we decided this was really an excellent idea, and we were silly to not take advantage of it on such a wonderful summer night. Re-enter the store.

Turns out... it doesn't really matter how much or how little food you buy. If you're walking home from the grocery store, you should DEFINITELY get a pounder to drink out of a paper bag while playing drinking games on the way home. :-)

That's all.

2 comments:

  1. Checked that one off the ole bucket list! and plan to again. BEST NIGHT OF SUMMER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simple, yet so brilliant. Why this has not yet been more widely adopted is unclear to me.

    ReplyDelete